Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Friend, Philosopher and Guide Madam Principal Y Padmavathy is no more: Vanam Jwala Narasimha Rao

Friend, Philosopher and Guide
Madam Principal Y Padmavathy is no more
Vanam Jwala Narasimha Rao

Madam Principal Y Padmavathy is no more with us. She passed away on first of August 2016 when she was about to complete 90 years in few months. She was Principal of BHEL Higher Secondary School in Ramachandrapuram, Hyderabad when I worked there as Librarian. She was for a long period Vice-Chairperson of Andhra Mahila Sabha of Durgabai Deshmukh. She was also the Chair-Person of Obulreddy Public School in Jubilee Hills Hyderabad. Padmavathy was a postgraduate in English Literature from Madras University.

I had the opportunity to attend her 86th Birthday – Sahasra Chandra Darshanam-function held in IAS officer’s club premises organized by her son Bhaskar (Former Principal Secretary Finance AP) four years ago.        


While in Niagara (USA) through Facebook I heard the news of Madam’s death and was shocked for a while. Couple of weeks before leaving for USA I spoke to Madam over phone. The last time I met her was in the third week of December 2015 to give an invitation card to attend the Ayuta Chandi Yagam performed by CM Telangana. That day morning Madam called me over phone and enquired about the Yagam and invitations and that way I had an opportunity to meet her. Earlier, immediately after I joined as CPRO to Chief Minister Telangana, I called on her along with my wife and took her blessings. This is a normal practice that I have been following for over three decades. Any good news of mine I used to share with her first and take her blessings. She always treated me as one of her children.


Madam’s son Dr Shankar called me on my old number to inform me about Madam’s indisposition and about her remembering me couple of days before death. I could not take the call as I left the phone at home and went to Niagara. As soon as I returned and when I called back him I was informed of this.

I have ample reminiscences of her to share with all those who know her.

It was in May 1974 I first had an opportunity to meet her when I had been to BHEL Higher Secondary School (BHEL HSS) to attend interview for Librarian Post in the school. I just then completed my Bachelor of Library Science (BLSc) course in Osmania University and yet to appear for examinations. Among the 12 candidates appeared for interview I was only one who did not take the degree yet. However interview members consisting of Late Akella Achyuta Ramam (the then Financial Advisor and Chief Accounts Officer BHEL and Chairman BHEL HSS Committee) and Madam Padmavathy (Principal BHEL HSS) selected me for the post and offered in a lower position than the advertised position. They however assured me that on my obtaining BLSc degree I would be upgraded which they did later. I joined BHEL HSS on first July 1974 and worked for nearly 12 years till January 1986 when I joined in Raj Bhavan. However with Madam Padmavathy as Principal I worked for about ten years and after her leaving the school I had no inclination to continue.


The BHEL HSS was probably the best of its kind anywhere in the country. The way Madam Padmavathy administered, controlled and handled the school maters and shaped it was exceptional and unheard anywhere. She was Friend, Philosopher and Guide to both students and staff. The top BHEL management under whose control the school runs were highly reverential to Madam and were in a way afraid of her also. They gave her full independence and autonomy in running the school.

Year after year the school achieved cent percent results with more than 95% passing with distinctions and the rest in first division. In every curricular and extra-curricular activity the school topped higher ranks whenever it competed with other similar schools. The annual sports and the annual arts, crafts and science events are memorable ones involving the entire school both staff and students equally. Every year couple of students used to get selection in to National Defense Academy (NDA) and in large numbers in to Medicine and Engineering not only within the state but also in prestigious institutions outside the state. Today hundreds of her students occupy a variety of key positions in government and in private sectors not to speak of some of them occupying politically important positions. The staff who worked with her also moved in to higher positions couple of them as Principals and others in to other key positions.


As Librarian my duty was to manage the school library-issue of books and receive them after they finish reading-besides classification and cataloguing of books. But more than my Library Science knowledge I have learnt practical knowledge of Library from Madam Principal. The various types of reference service that I learnt were more from her. Madam Padmavathy was very fond of books, magazines and journals and she was a voracious reader. Seldom have we seen her without a book or a magazine or a journal in her hands if she was not involved in official work. I remember her asking for a fresh and latest issue of some magazine from library everyday during her lunch time. BHEL HSS library was getting all the magazines and important journals of school standards besides number of new additions to book stocks. The books that she allowed me to buy gave me tremendous opportunity to read many of them and make writing attempts which in later part of my life helped me in building my career as a journalist. I am always indebted to madam Principal.

Several times Madam used to correct subtly the English language of many of us particularly those of us who had a regional language medium of instruction background. One instance that I still remember is when I asked her permission to enter her chambers once. I asked her “Madam…can I come”….her reply was “Yes…you can…but you may not!” This taught me when to use words like CAN and MAY.

There were occasions when we differed and differed seriously…but Madam had a large heart. She treated me as her child and set aside my mistakes. The day, when for the first time in BHEL HSS, we formed an Association (Staff Union) much to the anger of Madam, I still remember. I played a key role along with some other senior colleagues like David, Jaganmohan Rao and Nageswar Rao and others. While the process is on during the office hours, I managed to keep Madam in dark ensuring she will not have a clue about this, until the formal formation was completed, so that she would not be able to stall our plans. I even accompanied her that day evening to her house in her car after the school hours and did not reveal a word about it. When she came to know about this after the work was completed, the next day, she was very furious for a while….and of course pardoned me in a short time. She wrote a lengthy letter to my wife narrating the entire activity as childish!

When once I resigned and handed over the resignation letter Madam in her rejection note gave me a two page motherly counsel.



Madam you are great and we miss you forever and ever…..we miss all those get-togethers that we the BHEL HSS staff were having occasionally….we miss all your counsel…and more than anything your towering personality that helped many. End     

4 comments:

  1. I was a student of BHEL HSS from 1979 to 1984 (6th grade to 10th grade) and yes back then I dreaded you and your discipline in the library. Do you recall that you forced every student to read a book or a novel (Nancy Drew , Secret Seven , Famous Five etc)? I did not really like that. Worse ... you were quizzing us after that. Although I am a voracious reader , going after newspapers and magazines, I simply cannot focus on reading novels or other books..After BHEL HSS , I went to Little Flower Jr College , and the JNTU college of Engineering. I am now in California working as a Software Architect.

    By the way , in your writings above you clarified on the usage of "can" and "may". The same has been adapted in the movie "English Vinglish" in which actress Sridevi starred. If you come to USA , I would definitely like to meet you.I would like to meet you on my next visit to Hyderabad.

    Rama Krishna Bhupathi
    ramakris@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to Jwala Narasimha Rao Garu for paying respects to Madam Principal Padmavathy garu.

    My first encounter with Madam Principal (hereafter referred to as Madam) occurred in June 1979. My family just moved from VengalRao Nagar, Hyderabad to the township and I was seeking admission to grade 6 at BHEL HSS after not so successful attempts elsewhere. There were no in-between admissions at BHEL HSS. Somehow things lined up for me and I showed up at the school for the so-called grilling (entrance test). That was the first time I saw Madam. She was clad in marron red silk saree(that seemed to be her trademark). She was graceful and obviously commanded respect. As I walked towards her and greeted her ..(she was in the corridor opposite her office), she looked at me and exclaimed ." what happened here?  as she held my chin. I just returned from vacation from my village in East Godavari dist and came back with boils on my face (some say due to summer heat ..but I contest that). That was my first encounter with Madam. Subsequently, I was grilled by three teachers at school (Rama Sharma, Akka Lakshmi, and Harisarvotham ) and possibly aced ... that explains my admission at BHEL HSS.
    For the next couple of years, I saw her regularly and students feared her. She left the school soon after and another lady Malati Gopalakrishnan took over the school. But I can vouch that as long as  Madam was the principal, I always had some kind of pride in me.
    Rama Krishna Bhupathi
    ramakris@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Rama Krishna for remembering all and particularly me.
      I am available on India Number 80081 37012

      Delete
  3. I just came across your Post about Madam Principal Padmavathy. I was a student at HSS from Gr 1 to 12 th( 1984). It's been so long but I remember her so clearly. BHEL HSS was better because of her and her leadership.
    Thanks for your post Rao garu.

    ReplyDelete